Sunday, November 14, 2010

Taking a different tack...

Because I feel like it.

My wife and I did a trip up to Washington State recently, and she doesn't mind taking some notes while I drive. I'm not going to dictate essays and such (she's often writing as well,) but I'll toss ideas out and she'll scratch them down for me - we just agree on a keyword first (usually "Seed") so that it's set apart from conversation and she knows to write it down.

I've got three from this last trip. I haven't taken them to extension and written essays around them (yet. Gimme time...) but I want to see what my readers can do with them.

To this end, take one (or more!) of these idea seeds and run with it, writing an essay. Any length you like - I don't like to put too many limitations on people. However, a few are necessary, so here they are:
1) Your point must be logically constructed. Use readily-available information if you can do so, provide links to obscure information if you cannot.
2) No pointless vulgarity. An occasional "damn" or "Hell" for emphasis is perfectly acceptable, but don't get stupid with it. Use my own posts for a guideline.
3) Note that whatever you write and submit is subject to being put up here for all and sundry. To that end, I'd like to give credit where credit is due, but I understand that some people may prefer to remain anonymous. In either case, provide me with your proper name and email - but let me know if you want to remain anonymous, and I'll post it as simply "Reader Submission." I won't tell anyone about you - not even the government! - but I'd like to be able to pass along any comments that come in on your writing. If you don't want to remain anonymous, I'll post your proper name and email address so that you may receive comments directly.

That's not too bad, is it? Now, show me what you can do:

- "It's been said that we have the best government money can buy. The problem is that we spend entirely too much on it."

- "Democracy has been called 'the Tyranny of the Majority'. Our Representative Replublic has become either an indirect form of that, or perhaps a 'Tyranny of the Elected Minority'."

- "Elected Representatives have become the new monarchy. Don't believe me? How often did we hear the phrase 'Kennedy Dynasty" in the last thirty years? Or the 'Bayh Dynasty' in Indiana?"

- "Spirit of '76 - Re-Elect Nobody!"

Let's hear your ideas, instead of just mine!

JDK

1 comment:

  1. Considering the question of a bought government, we only need to look as far as the running roughshod over the general citizenry by the banksters. The transactions surrounding Mortgage Backed Securities, Foreclosuregate, and now the attempt to override the pocket veto of HR 3808 demonstrate how our leaders have given in almost lock, stock, and barrel to those who control our monetary policy. The Fed is causing inflation through Quantitative easing and then lying to us telling us that the inflation of commodities that is showing up at the checkout line every time you by groceries doesn't exist. How long will the citizenry sit idly by and allow themselves to be robbed blind. If someone breaks into your house and takes all of your money, you call the police. You demand that action is taken, and justice be served. Well America, guess what... it is happening day and night to you as I type this, but it is not some masked miscreant, but the man trusted to run our economy.

    ReplyDelete