Thursday, May 26, 2011

First Response - SB798

If it looks like boilerplate and quacks like boilerplate...

But at least the response was on-topic, so I'm assuming that someone read it! (I once wrote former Speaker Pelosi on a gun control measure, her office replied about some Child Custody Act. Wait, what?)

Anyhow, here's what I got back in return from Assymn Jim Beall (Assymn for my district):

----- SNIP -----

Dear Mr. Kelley:
Thank you for contacting me regarting your opposition to SB798, Firearms: BB Devices, Imitation Fireaerms. I want to take this opportunity to apprise you of the latest action taken by the California State Legislature.
At this time, SB798 is awaiting a vote before the Assembly Public Safety Committee. I have not yet had the opportunity to vote on this legislation. I am currently reviewing this bill in its final form so that I can make the most informed decision possible on this piece of legislation. Please be assured that I will keep the views of all my constituents in mind, including yours, should SB798 pass out of Committee and come before me for a vote in the Assembly.
I appreciate knowing your views on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again regarding this or any issues of concern to you.

----- SNIP -----

The last two paragraphs of the letter are fairly standard - where to find text of bills, monthly newsletter signup, and like that.

As I said - if it looks like boilerplate and sounds like boilerplate... I've gotten plenty of letters back of similar format on other issues - but at least getting another checkmark in the "No" column on his list, and hoping some staffer tells him what was read, will help.

It can't be a "government of the people" if the people don't make their views known. Meanwhile, I may be writing the Chair of the committee mentioned in the next day or so - probably sometime this week-end. Seems to me that the California legislature should have much larger concerns before them anyhow...

No comments:

Post a Comment